What is an F2B Visa?
An F2B visa is a type of immigration visa for the unmarried adult children of a lawful permanent resident (LPR) of the United States. The LPR sponsor needs to be a lawful permanent resident and the foreign national adult child needs to be outside of the United States. This type of visa allows the adult child to come to the United States and apply for a green card (lawful permanent residence) once in the U.S.
To apply for an F2B visa, the LPR sponsor must file a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative on behalf of their adult child. Once the Form I-130 is approved, the adult child can then apply for an F2B visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad.
Who Qualifies for F2B Visa?
The F2B visa category is for the unmarried adult children (over 21 years of age) of lawful permanent residents (LPRs). In order to qualify for an F2B visa, the following criteria must be met:
- The applicant must be the unmarried adult child of an LPR.
- The LPR sponsor must have filed an I-130 petition for the applicant.
- The applicant must be admissible to the United States, meaning they do not have any disqualifying criminal or security-related issues.
- The applicant must pass a medical examination and obtain a visa medical examination.
- The applicant must provide all required documentation, such as a valid passport, birth certificate, and proof of relationship to the LPR sponsor.
How to Apply for F2B Visa?
To apply for an F2B visa, you will need to follow these steps:
- Gather all necessary documents, including a valid passport, two passport-style photos, proof of financial support, and any other supporting documents required by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
- Your LPR sponsor must file a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, on your behalf with the USCIS. They will also need to pay the appropriate fee.
- Wait for the Form I-130 to be approved by the USCIS. This can take several months to several years, depending on the workload of the USCIS and the applicant’s country of origin.
- Once the Form I-130 is approved and a visa is available, the National Visa Center (NVC) will contact the sponsor and advise him/her to submit the Affidavit of Support and pay the visa processing fee.
- Complete the online visa application (DS-260) and pay the visa application fee for each applicant.
- Schedule an interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate. You will need to bring all original documents, including your Form I-130, to the interview.
- Attend the interview and answer any questions the consular officer may have.
- Wait for a decision on your visa application. If approved, you will be issued an F2B visa, which will allow you to enter the U.S. as the adult child of a LPR.
What is the F2B Visa Interview Process?
The F2B visa interview process is for individuals who are seeking to enter the United States as the unmarried adult child of a lawful permanent resident (LPR). The process typically includes the following steps:
- Submit a visa application: You will need to fill out an online application form, pay a fee, and submit any required documentation.
- Schedule an interview: Once your application has been reviewed, you will be scheduled for an interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country.
- Attend the interview: You will be required to bring certain documents to the interview, including a valid passport and the original copy of the Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) that was filed on your behalf by your LPR sponsor.
- Wait for a decision: After the interview, the consular officer will review your application and make a decision on your visa. You will be notified of the decision by mail.
- Medical examination: Before the final decision is made, the applicant is required to pass a medical examination and obtain a visa medical examination.
- Submit additional documents if required
What are the Required Documents for F2B Visa?
The required documents for an F2B visa will vary depending on the specific circumstances of your case and the U.S. embassy or consulate where you are applying. However, generally, you will need to provide the following documents:
- A valid passport: Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your intended stay in the United States.
- Form DS-160: This is the online nonimmigrant visa application form.
- Form I-130: This is the Petition for Alien Relative that was filed on your behalf by your LPR sponsor.
- Photograph: You will need to provide one passport-style photograph that meets the U.S. Department of State’s requirements.
- Proof of relationship: You will need to provide evidence of your relationship to your LPR sponsor, such as a birth certificate or family registration record.
- Proof of financial support: You will need to provide evidence that your LPR sponsor is able to financially support you while you are in the United States.
- Proof of ties to your home country: You will need to provide evidence that you have ties to your home country that will encourage you to return after your stay in the United States.
- Interview fee, if required
What is the F2B Visa Fee?
The F2B visa fee is a fee that is required to be paid when applying for an F2B visa, which is for the unmarried adult children (over 21 years of age) of lawful permanent residents (LPRs).
As of 2021, the F2B visa fee is $325. This fee is for the visa application fee (Form I-130) and is paid by the sponsor (the LPR). There is also an additional fee of $85 for biometrics services, which is paid by the applicant.
It’s important to note that the fees are subject to change, so it is best to check with the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. embassy or consulate where you are applying for the most up-to-date information. Additionally, there may be additional costs associated with the visa application process, such as the cost of obtaining a medical examination, translations and other services.
What is the F2B Visa Processing Time?
The processing time for an F2B Visa can vary depending on the specific circumstances and the location of the embassy or consulate where the application is being processed. Typically, processing times can range from several months to over a year. It is important to keep in mind that the processing time can be affected by various factors such as the volume of applications, the completeness of the application, and any additional security checks that may be required. It is always recommended to check with the specific Embassy or consulate where the application is being processed for the most up to date processing times.
F2B Visa Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions about the F2B visa:
- Who is eligible for an F2B visa?
A: An F2B visa is for the unmarried adult children (over 21 years of age) of lawful permanent residents (LPRs).
- How long does it take to process an F2B visa?
A: The processing time for an F2B visa can vary depending on the workload of the U.S. embassy or consulate where you are applying, but generally it takes several months. It’s best to check with the specific embassy or consulate for the most up-to-date information on processing times.
- Can I work with an F2B visa?
A: F2B visa holders are authorized to work in the United States, after they have been admitted to the U.S and obtained their work permit, also known as Employment Authorization Document (EAD).
- Can I bring my dependents with me on an F2B visa?
A: F2B visa holders are not able to bring dependents with them to the United States on an F2B visa, they would have to apply for their own visa.
- Can I apply for permanent residence while on an F2B visa?
A: Yes, you can apply for permanent residence while in the United States on an F2B visa. However, it is important to note that this process can take several years and it does not guarantee that you will be approved for permanent residence.
- Is there an age limit for F2B visa applicants?
A: The age limit for F2B visa applicants is 21 years old and above.