Who needs Form I-129F?
Form I-129F is also known as the Petition for Alien Fiance and is required in order for your fiance to obtain a K-1 Fiance Visa. If you are a U.S. citizen and you intend on marrying a foreign national, you may petition for him or her to enter the United States to get wed. Please note that if your fiance is a permanent U.S. resident already, you do not need to fill Form I-129F.
What documentation is required for Form I-129F?
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship
- Intention to marry your foreign national fiance within 90 days of their arrival
- Single status for both you and your fiance. If there were past marriage, there must be proof of death, divorce, or annulment.
- You physically met each other at least once within 2 years of your filing petition Form I-129F unless you can prove that:
- Meeting would have violated strict traditional rules or customs from your fiance’s foreign culture or practice
- If meeting would have cause you extreme hardship
What happens after Form I-129F is approved?
Once approved, your fiance will be issued the K-1 Visa which is also known as the fiance visa. It is suggested that foreign nationals hold off on purchasing travel accommodations until they have been issued the K-1 Visa. Once your fiance has received his or her visa, he or she may travel to the U.S. and marry within 90 days of arrival. Please note that the U.S. Customs are not obligated to allow an individual with a K-1 Visa to travel through the border. If the U.S. Customs agents find any reason to turn someone, they have the legal rights to do so.
Once you and your foreign national fiance have married, he or she can apply for permanent residence and legally remain in the U.S. while the USCIS processes the application.
What if you miss the 9o day limit to get married?
K-1 Visas expire after 90 days and your fiance would be in violation of U.S. immigration laws if he or she remains within the country. Your foreign national fiance should leave the United States or they may face deportation and may face later issues when applying for future immigration statuses and petitions.
Can my foreign national spouse work in the U.S?
Non-immigrant K-1 Visa holders may file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization to legally work. Please visit our site for Form I-765 for more information.
What is the Latest Form I-129F Edition?
The latest edition of Form I-129F is the April 6, 2020 version.
What are the Required Documents for Form I-129F?
1. Passport-style Photographs
2. Proof of U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Residency
3. Proof of Relationship between Petitioner and Beneficiary
4. Form I-129F Petition
5. Evidence of Financial Support
6. Proof of Legal Name Change (if applicable)
7. Evidence of Termination of Any Previous Marriages (if applicable)
8. Medical Examination Results
9. Proof of Legal Entry into the U.S. (for beneficiary only)
10. Social Security Number (for petitioner and beneficiary)
How to Submit Form I-129F?
1. Prepare the form: To apply for a fiancé(e) visa, you must complete Form I-129F. This form must be completed and signed by both you (the petitioner) and your fiancé(e).
2. Collect Required Documentation: Before submitting your application, make sure to have all of the required documentation ready. This includes passports, evidence of the relationship between you and your fiancé(e), evidence of termination of all prior marriages, and other forms of documentation as noted on the I-129F.
3. Pay Fees: The usual filing fee is $535. This can be paid by check or money order to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security.” Additionally, there may be additional fees associated with medical exams and translations of documents.
4. Submit Application: Once your form and documents are ready, you can submit your complete application to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The address will depend on where you live and can be found in the instructions for the I-129F.
5. Wait for a Response: After filing your application, you will receive a filing receipt and a biometrics appointment notice in the mail. Then, USCIS will process your application and contact you with any additional information or requests for documents. After that, a decision will be made on the application, which can take several months.
What are the Filing Tips for Form I-129F?
1. Include all necessary supporting documents and supporting evidence with Form I-129F.
2. Make sure to complete all required fields of the form.
3. Double-check that the form is signed and dated correctly.
4. File Form I-129F with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
5. Make sure to include the applicable filing fee.
6. Keep a copy of the complete application package for your records.
7. After filing, keep track of the status of your application using the USCIS online case status checker.
8. Once Form I-129F is approved, follow any additional instructions issued by the USCIS.
Are There Special Instructions for Form I-129F?
Yes, there are special instructions for completing Form I-129F. These instructions can be found on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website. The instructions provide detailed information on the filing process, including eligibility requirements, documents to include with the form, when to submit it, and how to pay the filing fee. It is important that all applicants carefully read and follow these instructions to ensure their petition is complete and accurate.
What is the Form I-129F Fee?
not affiliated with the USCIS
The Form I-129F is a form used by US citizens who are filing for a K-1 visa for their foreign fiancé(e). The filing fee for this form is $535 and must be submitted to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
Can I Apply for Form I-129F Fee Waiver or Reduction?
No, you cannot directly apply for a Form I-129F fee waiver or reduction. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) does not offer fee waivers or reductions for filing the I-129F form. If you are unable to afford the $535 filing fee, you may submit a Fee Waiver Request along with your Form I-129F. USCIS may consider your request but it is ultimately up to their discretion.
What is the Form I-129F Processing Time?
who is not a US citizen
Unfortunately, the processing time for Form I-129F can vary greatly depending on the individual’s situation. The amount of time it takes to process the form can range from several weeks to several months. It is best to check with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website for the most up-to-date information on processing times.
Form I-129F Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long does the I-129F petition take to process?
The processing time for an I-129F petition depends on the USCIS office where the petition was submitted. Generally, the processing time is between 8 and 13 months.
2. How do I know if my I-129F petition has been approved?
Once your petition has been approved, you will receive an approval notice from USCIS. This will include information on how to proceed with the application process.
3. Can my fiancé(e) work while waiting for the I-129F petition to be approved?
No, a fiancé(e) cannot work in the United States until the I-129F petition is approved and all further immigration requirements are met.
4. What documents are required to be included with the I-129F petition?
The required documents for an I-129F petition vary depending on the particular case. Generally speaking, you will need to provide evidence of a valid relationship such as proof of engagement, financial records, and a copy of both parties’ birth certificates. You may also need to submit medical examination forms and passport photos.
5. What happens if my I-129F petition is denied?
If your I-129F petition is denied, you will receive a written decision from USCIS detailing the reasons for the denial. You may be able to file an appeal or motion to reopen/reconsider depending on your case.