Citizenship Through Marriage

U.S. Citizenship Process via Marriage

Fiance’s of U.S. citizens who are alien should seek an application for the K-1 Visa. This visa allows non citizens to travel to the United States and marry his or her fiance within 90 days of arrival. We have outlined the process for applying for a visa through marriage below.

  1. Filing the Petition for Alien Fiance Form I-129F
    • Once USCIS approves of the petition, it is sent to the National Visa Center (NVC) which will assign a case number to the petition and forward it to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where your fiance lives.
  2. Apply for the Visa
    • The U.S. citizen will be notified once the NVC sends the petition to the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate. The foreign fiance should now collect the following materials:
      • Form DS-160: Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application
      • Passport valid for travel
      • Divorce or death certificates of any previous spouses for you and your fiance
      • Police certificates from your present country and any previous country of residence where you lived 6 months or more.
      • Medical examination
      • Evidence of financial independence or support (Form I-134 Affidavit of Support may be requested)
      • Two 2×2 photographs
      • Evidence of relationship with the U.S. citizen fiance
      • Payment of Fees
  3. Review U.S. Embassy or Consulate specific instructions
  4. You can track the progress of Petition Form I-129F on the USCIS website
  5. If your application is approved, the Consular Office will return the passport of the alien with the K-1 Visa and a sealed envelope with the documents you provided. This envelope is only to be opened by an immigration official.
  6. With the K-1 Visa, you may enter the U.S. and marry your U.S. citizen fiance within 90 days of arrival.