I-192: Application for Advance Permission to Enter as Nonimmigrant

What is Form I 192?

Applications deemed as inadmissible non-immigrants may petition to enter the United States temporarily using I-192, Application for Advance Permission to Enter as Nonimmigrant. To be categorized as an inadmissible individuals eligible to petition, individuals must be in one of the following categories:

  • Individuals with appropriate supporting documents
  • Individuals with T non-immigrant status
  • Individuals with U non-immigrant status

To understand the grounds for being an inadmissible, please refer to the Immigration and Nationality Act section 212(a). The statutory and regulatory basis for this form can be found in INA section 212(d)(3)(A)(ii) and Title 8 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), part 212.4(b); and INA section 212(d)(13) and (14); 8 CFR 212.16 and 17, and 8 CFR 214.11 and 214.14 for T and U visa applicants.

What are Form I-192 Instructions?

Filing for I-192 require individuals to pay $930. However, unlike many other USCIS forms, individuals are not required to pay a biometric fee. Applicants under certain financial circumstances can file a fee waiver form (I-912) to waive the filing and biometric fees. An example of valid circumstance is an individual living at or below 150% of federal poverty guidelines.

Filing instructions for Form I 192 vary based on the qualifications. Applications with appropriate documents must file with the U.S. Cutsoms and Border Protection (CBP) before entering the country. Typically, applicants file the petition at a CBP port of entry or a designated preclearance office. Applicants with T or U non-immigrant status file with the USCIS Vermont Service Center. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Filing Address
Vermont Service Center
75 Lower Welden Street
St. Albans, VT 05479-0001

When filing, applicants must include the following materials in addition to a completed I-192. Failure to not include a complete package may result in a rejection of the application.

Based on the applicant’s circumstances, additional materials may be required. For example, those with a criminal record must provide an official record of the incarceration.