Emergency Contacts Tips for US Citizens Traveling to Croatia

What are the emergency contact numbers in Croatia, including police, ambulance, and fire services?

Police: 112
Ambulance: 112
Fire Services: 112

Can you provide the contact information for the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate in Croatia?

U.S. Embassy Zagreb
Thomas Jefferson Street 2, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Telephone: +385 (1) 661-2200
Fax: +385 (1) 456-4213
Email: [email protected]

Is there a local equivalent of 911 or an emergency hotline in Croatia?

Yes, the emergency number in Croatia is 112. This is the same for the whole of the European Union.

What is the procedure for contacting local authorities in case of an emergency in Croatia?

In case of an emergency in Croatia, contact the nearest police station or dial the emergency services number 112. The call is free of charge and is answered in Croatian, English, German and Italian. For fire or medical emergencies, you can also contact the fire department at 193 or the ambulance at 194.

Are there specific numbers or hotlines for reporting incidents such as theft, loss, or suspicious activities in Croatia?

Yes, here are some of the numbers and hotlines you can use to report incidents such as theft, loss, or suspicious activities in Croatia:

Emergency Services: 112

Police: 192

Fire Department: 193

Ambulance/Rescue Service: 194
Croatian National Tourist Board: +385 (0)1 45 69 999
Tourist Police: +385 (0)1 48 10 908
Croatia’s Reporting and Analysis Center for Money Laundering (CARIM): +385 1 616 0453

How can I reach medical emergency services, and are there English-speaking medical facilities in Croatia?

In case of a medical emergency, you can dial 112 and speak to the emergency service operator in English. Additionally, there are many English-speaking medical facilities throughout Croatia. You can search online for specific medical centers in your area or contact the tourist information office in the closest city for more information.

What steps should I take if I lose my passport or other important documents in Croatia?

1. Report your passport as lost or stolen to the local police. Make sure to get a copy of the report as you will need it to apply for a new passport.

2. Contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate of your home country in Croatia and inform them of your lost or stolen passport.

3. Apply for a new passport at the Embassy. You will need to provide them with the police report, two passport-sized photos, and any other documents they may require (such as a driver’s license or birth certificate).

4. If you have lost other important documents (such as a driver’s license or birth certificate), contact the appropriate authorities to have them replaced. This may include your home country’s Embassy, local police, or Croatian Ministry of Internal Affairs.

Is there a 24/7 helpline or hotline for travelers to seek assistance or information in Croatia?

No, there is no 24/7 helpline or hotline for travelers to seek assistance or information in Croatia. However, Croatia has an emergency number 112, available for free from any phone (including mobiles) that can be used to contact the police, fire brigade or ambulance services. There are also tourist information centers throughout Croatia where travelers can get assistance or information.

What are the local search and rescue services, and how can they be contacted in Croatia?

Local search and rescue services in Croatia are provided by the Croatian Fire Fighting and Rescue Service (Vatrogasna Zajednica Hrvatske – VZH). VZH can be contacted through their national emergency number 112 or their local office telephone numbers, which are available on their website (www.vzh.hr). Their main operations can be divided into two main categories: firefighting and search and rescue. VZH provides services such as firefighting, rescue of persons from dangerous, hazardous or inaccessible places, search and rescue operations for lost people in forests, mountains, water bodies, urban areas and more. They also provide traffic accident emergency response services.

In case of a natural disaster, whom should I contact for information and assistance in Croatia?

In the event of a natural disaster in Croatia, you should contact the Croatian Civil Protection Headquarters at +385 1 4688-222 or 112. You can also contact the nearest civil protection department in your local municipality.

What support services does the U.S. embassy or consulate in Croatia offer in times of crisis?

The U.S. Embassy or consulate in Croatia offers a range of crisis support services, including:

-Emergency Financial Assistance: If you or a family member is in immediate need of financial assistance due to an emergency, the Embassy can provide limited assistance to help cover the cost of emergency medical care, travel, and other essential items.

-Emergency Medical Assistance: The U.S. Embassy and consulates offer 24-hour emergency medical assistance for U.S. citizens and can provide referrals to appropriate local medical care providers.

-Emergency Legal Assistance: The Embassy and consulates can provide referrals to local attorneys and legal resources for those facing legal issues.

-Assistance in Locating Family Members: The Embassy and consulates can assist U.S. citizens in locating family members who are in Croatia, as well as providing information on how to contact government authorities and non-governmental organizations that may be able to help locate them.

-Assistance with Travel Plans: The Embassy and consulates can provide information on visa requirements and procedures, passport services, airline tickets, airport transfers, and other travel related matters.

Is there a local equivalent to the U.S. State Department’s Overseas Citizens Services (OCS) that I can contact in Croatia?

Yes, the Croatian Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs (MVEP) provides assistance to Croatian citizens who are abroad. The MVEP has offices around the world, and you can contact their office in Zagreb (email: [email protected]) for any assistance you may need.

How can I register with the U.S. embassy or consulate for updates and assistance during my stay in Croatia?

If you will be staying in Croatia for a period of time, it is a good idea to register with the U.S. embassy or consulate in Croatia. You can register online through the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) on the website of the U.S. Embassy in Zagreb. Through registering with STEP, travelers can receive information about safety and security from the embassy, as well as help in case of an emergency.

Are there specific contacts or resources for Americans dealing with legal issues in Croatia?

The U.S. Embassy in Croatia can provide assistance to American citizens dealing with legal issues in Croatia. U.S. citizens can contact the embassy at +385 (1) 661-2222 or via email at [email protected]. Additionally, the Croatian bar association has a list of English-speaking attorneys who may be able to provide legal assistance, and the embassy can provide contact information for these lawyers.

What is the process for reporting incidents of harassment or discrimination in Croatia?

Reporting incidents of harassment and discrimination in Croatia should be done according to applicable laws and regulations. Depending on the type of incident, reports may be directed to different government entities.

For example, if the incident involves an alleged violation of the Anti-Discrimination Act, then a complaint should be filed with the Croatian Ombudsman. The Ombudsman is authorized to investigate the incident and take appropriate measures.

In cases of sexual harassment or discrimination based on gender, age, religion, or disability, complaints can be filed with the Ministry of Labor, Pension System and Social Policy. The Ministry is responsible for enforcing relevant laws and regulations and can take measures based on its findings.

If the incident involves a breach of labor law, then affected parties should approach the Croatian Employment Service or the Ministry of Labor, Pension System and Social Policy.

Is there a local non-emergency police contact for situations that require police assistance but are not immediate emergencies?

Yes, most cities have a non-emergency police contact number. Check with your local police or sheriff’s office for the non-emergency contact number, which is often listed on the department website.

How can I contact my country’s embassy or consulate if I’m in a remote or rural area of Croatia?

If you are in a remote or rural area of Croatia and need to contact your country’s embassy or consulate, the best way to do so is to first search online for the contact details of your country’s embassy or consulate in Croatia. If you cannot find the contact details online, you can call the main switchboard of the Croatian Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs on +385 (0)1 45 69 964 and ask for assistance.

Are there local crisis hotlines or mental health support services available in Croatia?

Yes, there are crisis hotlines and mental health support services available in Croatia. The Croatian Institute for Mental Health provides a helpline service (01 46 39 333) for people in crisis or those needing mental health support. They also provide information and referrals to other services. There are also several other organisations and hotlines providing mental health support, such as the Samaritans of Croatia (01 48 33 888) and the National Institute for Mental Health Support (01 48 33 885).

In case of a transportation-related emergency, whom should I contact for assistance in Croatia?

If you are in an emergency situation while travelling in Croatia, you should contact the police by dialing 112. If you are in need of medical assistance, you can call the Croatian emergency services at 112 or call the European emergency number 112 to reach an operator that speaks English.

How can I quickly and efficiently communicate with emergency services if there is a language barrier in Croatia?

If you are in Croatia and need to communicate with emergency services but there is a language barrier, the first thing to do is find someone who speaks the language you need. There are many different ways to find someone who can help.

One option is to look for a local translator service, which may be available through a language institute or a travel agency. These services can provide an interpreter who can serve as an intermediary between you and emergency services.

Another option is to use the internet. There are numerous websites and apps which offer real-time translation services. Some of these services even have dedicated hotlines which you can call for emergency translation assistance.

Finally, you could also use a text-based translation service, which may be faster and easier in some cases. There are several online translation tools that allow you to type in the language that you need and get an immediate translation in the language that emergency services understand.