N-600: Application for Certificate of Citizenship

What is a Form N-600?

Form N-600 is an application for Certificate of Citizenship used by individuals who are seeking to be recognized by the U.S. government as a U.S. citizen based on the fact that one or both of their parents are U.S. citizens. The form must be filed in the appropriate court and is used to obtain a Certificate of Citizenship, which is an official document proving U.S. citizenship status.

Who is Eligible for Form N-600?

Form N-600 is available to individuals who are applying for U.S. citizenship through the naturalization process. To be eligible for Form N-600, an individual must:

1. Be a U.S. permanent resident
2. Have at least five years of continuous permanent residency in the United States
3. Have been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the last five years
4. Have been maintaining a residence in the U.S. for at least three months before filing the form
5. Be 18 years of age or older
6. Have good moral character
7. Be conversant in English and have knowledge of civics (history and government)
8. Not have had any convictions for certain offenses or have failed to register with the Selective Service System
9. Be willing to take an Oath of Allegiance to the United States
10. Be able to provide proof of identity, long-term residence, and other qualifying factors

What is the Latest Form N-600 Edition?

The latest edition of Form N-600 is the November 2020 edition.

What are the Required Documents for Form N-600?

The documents required for Form N-600 are:

1. Proof of U.S. Citizenship: A certified copy of your U.S. birth certificate or a Report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization/Citizenship.

2. Evidence of Your Relationship to the U.S. Citizen Parent: Copies of birth certificates, adoption decrees, marriage certificates, divorce decrees, or other court documents that show the relationship between you and your parent.

3. Evidence of Your Residency in the United States: Copies of school records, medical records, employment records, or other documents that show you have lived in the United States for at least five years after the age of 14 (or three years if you are applying based on the naturalization of a parent).

4. Your Photograph: A passport-style photo taken within 30 days of filing the form.

5. Request for a Change of Name (if applicable): If you are applying to change your name, you must submit a court order or marriage certificate showing your name change.

6. Fees: A check or money order made payable to the “U.S. Department of Homeland Security” for the filing fee, biometric services fee, and any additional fees associated with the application.

How to Submit Form N-600?

Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship, is used to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship if you are already a U.S. citizen by birth or through naturalization. To submit Form N-600, you must complete the application, gather the required documents, and submit them to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) with the filing fee.

1. Complete Form N-600: Begin by filling out the application, paying special attention to the instructions provided. Include photographs, signature and payment information when you complete the form.

2. Gather Required Documents: You may need to provide documents to support your claim to citizenship, such as a birth certificate or proof of naturalization. Refer to the application instructions to determine what documents are required for your application.

3. Submit the Application: You must submit your completed Form N-600 and all of the required documents with the filing fee to USCIS. You can submit your application via mail or online using the USCIS online filing system. If submitting your application by mail, be sure to send it to the correct address listed in the instructions.

Once you have submitted your application, you will be able to track its progress online using your receipt number and will receive updates from USCIS via email or mail about its status.

What are the Filing Tips for Form N-600?

1. Make sure you are eligible for the application by checking the eligibility requirements.

2. Gather all the required documents, such as birth certificates and proof of U.S. citizenship of your parent.

3. Fill out the form accurately and completely, including providing all the required documents.

4. Double-check your answers and make sure they match the documents you are providing.

5. Include the filing fee or a request for a fee waiver to complete your application.

6. Submit your form and documents to the right USCIS address.

7. Track your application status online or by calling USCIS for updates.

Are There Special Instructions for Form N-600?

Yes, there are special instructions for Form N-600.

If you are filing Form N-600 to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship based on your relationship to an American spouse, you must provide the following documents:

1. A copy of your marriage certificate.
2. A copy of the front and back of your US citizen spouse’s US passport or other proof of US citizenship such as a Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship.
3. Two recently taken passport sized color photographs of yourself, with a white background.
4. A copy of your birth certificate or other proof of your identity and foreign birth such as your foreign passport.
5. Documents showing that you have been in a valid marital relationship with the US citizen spouse for at least 3 years immediately before the date you file Form N-600, such as joint residence, joint bank accounts, and joint tax returns.
6. Documents showing that you have been living in the United States for at least 3 years immediately before the date you file Form N-600, such as evidence of lawful admission as a permanent resident (Form I-551, Green Card).
7. Evidence that you are currently in a valid marital relationship with the US citizen spouse, such as recent photographs showing joint residence and joint activities.
8. Evidence that you have good moral character such as police reports, background checks, and affidavits from third parties attesting to your good character.

What is the Form N-600 Fee?

The Form N-600 fee is the fee charged by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) when an individual applies for Certificate of Citizenship. The current fee for Form N-600 is $1,170, which must be paid at the time of filing.

Can I Apply for Form N-600 Fee Waiver or Reduction?

Yes, you can apply for a Form N-600 fee waiver or reduction. In order to do so, you must fill out and submit the form I-912, Request for Fee Waiver and provide evidence that you meet a certain set of criteria. According to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), fee waivers are available for applicants who demonstrate that they cannot pay the fee because of either financial hardship or other specific circumstances. The USCIS will consider factors such as age, disability, income, assets, and family size when determining if a fee waiver is appropriate. Be sure to include all necessary documents when submitting your request.

What is the Form N-600 Processing Time?

The processing time for Form N-600 (Application for Certificate of Citizenship) varies depending on the applicant’s situation and the USCIS office that you file with. Generally, the processing time ranges from 4 to 6 months. However, it can sometimes take longer if additional information is requested or if there are delays in processing. To check the status of your application, you can contact the USCIS National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.

Form N-600 Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is Form N-600?

A. Form N-600 is an application used by certain individuals to obtain a Certificate of Citizenship through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The form is used to register or recognize a claim of United States citizenship based on one or more of the following criteria: birth abroad to a U.S. citizen parent, acquisition of U.S. citizenship at birth, or derivation of U.S. citizenship from a parent or grandparent.

Q. Who can use Form N-600?

A. Form N-600 can be used by individuals who meet one or more of the criteria listed above and who want to obtain a Certificate of Citizenship from USCIS. In addition, adopted children and stepchildren may apply for citizenship using Form N-600 if they meet certain requirements.

Q. What documents do I need to submit with Form N-600?

A. You should include evidence of your identity and U.S. citizenship status with your application, such as a birth certificate, passport, adoption decree, and other documents as instructed on the form’s instructions page. You may also need to submit additional documents depending on your particular application.

Q. How much does it cost to file Form N-600?

A. The filing fee for Form N-600 is currently $1,170, though certain applicants may be eligible for a fee waiver or reduced fee based on their financial situation.

Q. How long does it take for USCIS to process an application filed using Form N-600?

A. Processing times for applications filed using Form N-600 vary depending on many factors including the location, workload, and type of application being filed. You can check the processing times for your local USCIS office on the USCIS website for an estimated timeline for your application’s processing.