N-565: Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document

What is a Form N-565?

Form N-565 is an application form used by U.S. citizens or nationals to apply for a replacement Certificate of Naturalization or a Certificate of Citizenship. It is typically used when the original documents have been lost, stolen, mutilated, or destroyed. It can also be used to correct errors on the original document or to apply for a special certificate with an updated name or other information.

Who is Eligible for Form N-565?

Form N-565 is used by individuals to apply for a Replace Naturalization/Citizenship document. To be eligible, you must meet the following criteria:

1. You must be 18 or older.
2. You must have had a previous U.S. citizenship document issued to you, such as a Certificate of Naturalization or U.S. passport.
3. You must have lost or had your previous document stolen and you cannot obtain a new one from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
4. You must be able to provide evidence of your U.S. citizenship, such as a birth certificate or previous U.S. passport.

What is the Latest Form N-565 Edition?

The latest edition of Form N-565 is Edition 10/11/19. This form is used to apply for a Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document.

What are the Required Documents for Form N-565?

1. Evidence of U.S. citizenship or naturalization: A valid U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, or Form FS-240, Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America.

2. Evidence that your previous U.S. citizenship or naturalization document was lost, stolen, mutilated, or destroyed: Any existing documents that you may have, such as a copy of the passport, Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, or Form FS-240 Report of Birth Abroad.

3. Evidence that you are the same person to whom the previously issued document was issued: Government-issued photo identification and any other documents that can prove your identity such as a birth certificate, driver’s license, military ID card, or passport issued by a foreign government.

4. Proof that you were never issued a Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship: If this is the case, submit a statement describing why you never applied for either and why you think no record exists in USCIS files (for example, if your parents became citizens after you arrived in the United States).

5. Two identical passport-style photographs: According to USCIS regulations, the photographs must be 2×2 inches in size and taken within 30 days prior to submission of the application.

6. A signed and dated application fee: The fee for Form N-565 is $545 (as of June 2020).

How to Submit Form N-565?

1. Gather all required documents: To submit Form N-565, you must have all of the required documents, including a copy of your current United States passport, permanent resident card, or a Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship. You must also provide two passport-style photos, copies of any evidence of your name or identity change, a form of payment, and any other documents specified in the instructions.

2. Complete Form N-565: Once you have all of the required documents, you can start completing Form N-565. This form will ask for information such as your full name, address, and other personal details. You’ll also need to certify that the information you are providing is accurate and complete.

3. Submit Form N-565: When you have finished completing the form and gathered all of the required documents, you can submit Form N-565. You can do this by mail or online. If you’re submitting it by mail, make sure to include all of the necessary documents and a form of payment. If you’re submitting it online, you’ll need to create an online profile with USCIS and upload your documents along with the form.

4. Receive your receipt notice: Once USCIS has received your application, they will send you a receipt notice confirming that your application has been received and is being processed. This receipt notice will also provide an approximate timeline for when you can expect an update on your application status.

What are the Filing Tips for Form N-565?

1. Before filing Form N-565, make sure you have the necessary documents and information to complete the form. This includes a copy of your birth certificate, certificate of naturalization, or a copy of your current U.S. passport.

2. Read all instructions carefully and make sure you understand them before completing the form.

3. Make sure that all information is correct and accurate, including your name, address, and date of birth.

4. If you are filing on behalf of someone else, make sure you include their name and information on the form.

5. Include the required fee with your application.

6. Make sure you submit your form to the appropriate USCIS office in place of residence.

7. Retain a copy of your completed form and other supporting documents for your records.

Are There Special Instructions for Form N-565?

Yes, there are special instructions for Form N-565.

1. Make sure you have all of the required documents to file your Form N-565. The necessary documents can be found in the Form N-565 Instructions.

2. Complete Forms N-400 and N-565 together, as they are part of the same application package.

3. Complete all sections of Form N-565 thoroughly and accurately. Failure to provide accurate information may result in a delay or denial of your application.

4. Make sure to include the filing fee with your application package. The filing fee for Form N-565 is $545.

5. Mail your completed Form N-565, along with the filing fee and any other required documents, to the address listed on the form instructions.

6. Once your application is approved, USCIS will mail you a Certificate of Naturalization or a Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony.

What is the Form N-565 Fee?

Form N-565 is a USCIS form used to apply for a replacement Certificate of Naturalization or a Certificate of Citizenship. The fee for the Form N-565 is $555.

Can I Apply for Form N-565 Fee Waiver or Reduction?

Yes, you can apply for a fee waiver or reduction under Form N-565. To qualify, you must meet certain criteria and provide supporting documentation. The fee waiver form must be accompanied by valid evidence or proof that you are eligible for the waiver. The required documents include a current driver’s license, state-issued ID, Social Security card, military discharge papers, and a statement from a financial institution showing your current financial status. Then, you must complete Form N-565 and submit it with the required documents to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). After USCIS reviews your application and determines your eligibility for the waiver, it will issue an approval or denial with further instructions.

What is the Form N-565 Processing Time?

The processing time for Form N-565 can vary, depending on the particular case and the workload of the USCIS at the time. Generally, you should allow at least 60 days for the application to be processed. In some cases, it can take longer than 60 days for the application to be processed. You can check the status of your Form N-565 application online using your receipt number.

If you have not received a decision on your case within the allotted time, you may contact the USCIS National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283 or via email using the Infopass system.

Form N-565 Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is Form N-565?
A: Form N-565 is an application for Replacement of a Naturalization/Citizenship Document. It is usually used by U.S. citizens or people who have already obtained their naturalization certificate and need a replacement.

Q: Who can use Form N-565?
A: If you are a U.S. citizen or already have a naturalization certificate, you can use Form N-565 to apply for a replacement document.

Q: What documents do I need to submit with Form N-565?
A: Depending on your specific circumstances, you may need to submit additional documents with your application. Generally, you will need to submit copies of your naturalization certificate (if it was issued) or other proof of citizenship and proof of identity such as a passport, driver’s license, or other government-issued photo ID.

Q: How much does it cost to apply for a replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document using Form N-565?
A: The fee for filing Form N-565 is $555. This fee can be paid by check or money order made out to the Department of Homeland Security.

Q: How long does it usually take to get a replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document?
A: Generally, it can take up to 6 months to process your Form N-565 and receive your replacement document. However, processing time may vary depending on the circumstances of your individual case.