I-600A: Application for Advance Processing of an Orphan Petition

What is a Form I-600A?

Form I-600A is an application for Provisional Approval of Advance Processing of Orphan Petition. It is used by U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents who wish to adopt a foreign-born child in order to bring them to the United States. The form must be filed with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before an orphan petition (Form I-600) can be filed for the child.

Who is Eligible for Form I-600A?

Form I-600A is a form used to apply for Advance Processing of Orphan Petition. To be eligible for the form, the person must be a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident, or an individual who is in lawful immigration status in the United States. The individual must also demonstrate that they intend to adopt a child from a foreign country who will be brought to the United States and will be allowed to become a U.S. citizen. The individual must also be at least 25 years of age, or married and at least 21 years of age. Finally, the individual must be found suitable to adopt a child by a foreign country’s adoption authority or by the U.S. government.

What is the Latest Form I-600A Edition?

The latest edition of Form I-600A is the 12/23/16 edition.

What are the Required Documents for Form I-600A?

1. Evidence that the prospective adoptive parent or parents meet the eligibility requirements for Form I-600A.

2. A notarized Form I-604, Determination of Child for Adoption, completed by a foreign adoption agency or a U.S. consular officer indicating that the child meets the definition of an orphan as defined in immigration law.

3. Medical reports on the child and any accompanying siblings if applicable.

4. A copy of the child’s passport or other government-issued identification.

5. Evidence of a home study completed by a qualified social welfare agency in the U.S. or abroad if applicable.

6. Evidence of a valid release from the custody of the sending country or other evidence that shows that it is in the best interest of the child to be adopted in the United States.

7. Evidence of a valid adoption (or custody for purpose of adoption) decree from the foreign country if applicable.

8. Proof of marital status, such as marriage certificates, divorce decrees, or death certificates if applicable.

9. Supporting documentation for any extraordinary circumstances related to the adoption (if applicable).

10. Two passport-style photos for each applicant, taken within 30 days of filing the petition.

How to Submit Form I-600A?

If you are looking to submit Form I-600A, first you must complete the form and gather any additional documents required. Once you have your form and documents, you will submit them to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The form can be mailed with supporting documents to the appropriate USCIS lockbox facility or it can be submitted electronically using the USCIS online filing system.

When submitting Form I-600A by mail, you will need to include two copies of the completed form and supporting documents, along with the fee payment. You can find the address to send your documents in the associated instructions.

When filing electronically, you will need to create a USCIS online account. After creating an account and selecting which form you wish to file, you will upload your documents and submit your payment. Once all of these steps are complete, you can submit your application.

It is important to note that some forms of payment are not accepted for certain types of applications. Make sure to review the instructions associated with Form I-600A so that you know which type of payment is accepted.

What are the Filing Tips for Form I-600A?

1. Make sure you complete all sections of the form as accurately and thoroughly as possible.

2. Make sure you attach all required documents, such as evidence of financial resources, to the form.

3. Be sure to include your signature and date at the bottom of the form.

4. Check your form for accuracy before submitting.

5. Submit your completed Form I-600A with the appropriate fee to the appropriate USCIS service center.

6. If you are sending the form by mail, be sure to include a self-addressed stamped envelope for receipt of the approved application or a return receipt request.

7. Keep a copy of all paperwork submitted for your records.

Are There Special Instructions for Form I-600A?

Yes. When filling out Form I-600A, please be sure to:

1. Complete the form in its entirety.

2. Include a copy of the birth certificate that lists the petitioner as a parent.

3. Include a copy of any court documents pertaining to the adoption or guardianship.

4. Include two passport-style photographs of the adopted child and two passport-style photographs of each parent or legal guardian of the child.

5. Include copies of the identification documents for all parties involved in the adoption, such as passports, driver’s licenses, or state ID cards.

6. Make sure to sign and date all applicable documents and include your contact information.

7. Submit the form and all supporting documents with the appropriate filing fee.

What is the Form I-600A Fee?

The Form I-600A Fee is the fee charged by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for individuals who are attempting to adopt a child from a foreign country. The fee must be paid at the time of filing and is currently $775.

Can I Apply for Form I-600A Fee Waiver or Reduction?

No, Form I-600A fee waivers and reductions can only be applied for by the applicant.

What is the Form I-600A Processing Time?

The processing time for Form I-600A varies depending on the individual case and the USCIS office processing the application. On average, it can take up to six months for a decision to be made on a Form I-600A application.

Form I-600A Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is an I-600A form?

The I-600A form is an application for advance processing of an orphan petition. It is the first step for prospective adoptive parents who are looking to adopt a child from another country and bring them to the United States.

2. What information will I need to fill out the I-600A form?

You will need to provide your contact information, as well as information about yourself and your spouse (if applicable), all of your children, and the orphan you are hoping to adopt. You will also need to provide detailed information about your finances, including an estimation of your net worth and income.

3. How much does it cost to file an I-600A form?

There is a filing fee of $775 that must be paid when you submit the form. Additionally, you may also be required to pay certain processing fees to the state or country from which you are adopting the child.

4. How long does it take for the I-600A form to be processed?

The processing time varies and depends on several factors, such as how quickly you provide all of the necessary paperwork and whether there are any issues that must be addressed. Generally, expect it to take up to six months for your application to be processed.

5. Can I file an I-600A form if I am not a US citizen?

No, only US citizens or lawful permanent residents may file an I-600A form.