What is a Form I-526?
Form I-526 is an immigration form used by certain individuals who are looking to obtain an immigrant visa through the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program. It is used to petition for an immigrant visa based on the investment of capital in a commercial enterprise in the United States by an alien investor.
Who is Eligible for Form I-526?
Any foreign investor who meets the eligibility requirements for the U.S. EB-5 Investor Visa Program is eligible for Form I-526, Petition for Alien Entrepreneur. To be eligible, the investor must meet the following criteria:
• Have invested or be in the process of investing at least $1 million of capital in a new commercial enterprise located in the United States;
• Create at least 10 full-time jobs for qualifying U.S. workers; and
• Prove that the investment comes from a lawful source of funds, such as gifts, loans, earnings, or proceeds from the sale of property.
What is the Latest Form I-526 Edition?
The latest edition of Form I-526 is the October 2020 edition.
What are the Required Documents for Form I-526?
1. A copy of a valid passport or another travel document
2. An official birth certificate
3. Evidence of your current employment or past employment
4. Evidence of your current residence or past residence
5. Evidence of your source of funds
6. Documentation to show family relationship, if applicable
7. A police certificate from each country you have lived in for 6 months or more since reaching the age of 16
8. Evidence of language proficiency
9. Formal documentation showing that you meet the EB-5 investor requirements, such as bank statements and proof of investment
10. Medical exam certificate
11. Two passport-style photographs
How to Submit Form I-526?
Form I-526, Immigrant Petition by Alien Entrepreneur, is an application to classify an alien as an immigrant investor. The form is filed with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
1. Gather the required documents. Before submitting Form I-526, you must gather certain documents that demonstrate the alien entrepreneur’s eligibility for the program. This includes evidence of investments made, evidence of lawful source of the funds used to make the investment, evidence of job creation in the United States, and any other documents requested in the form instructions.
2. Download Form I-526. The form is available on the official USCIS website. Fill out all requested information as accurately and completely as possible. Attach any additional documents required as part of your submission.
3. Pay the filing fee. The filing fee for Form I-526 is currently $3,675 per applicant (as of 2021). Submit this fee via check or money order along with your application.
4. Submit Form I-526. You can submit your completed application by mail or by filing it online through the USCIS e-Filing system. If you submit it by mail, make sure to include all required documents and fees, as well as a self-addressed envelope for returning any originals to you.
5. Wait for processing and decision. Once your application has been received by USCIS, the agency will review your petition and make a decision on your case within several months (depending on their turnaround time). If your petition is approved, you will receive a Notice of Action with details regarding next steps in the process.
What are the Filing Tips for Form I-526?
1. Gather all the required documents and information before you begin the application process. Make sure that all the documents are in their original form and not photocopied or scanned.
2. Ensure that all required information is accurate and up-to-date, as this helps in expediting the processing of your application.
3. Submit the form with all the supporting documents together in one package.
4. Make sure to pay the appropriate fee at the time of filing.
5. Double-check all forms and supporting documents for any errors or omissions to ensure accuracy.
6. Use the correct edition of Form I-526, and make sure it is signed and dated before submitting it.
7. Keep a copy of the application, signed forms, and other documents for your records.
8. Monitor your status online to ensure that your application is being processed correctly and on time.
Are There Special Instructions for Form I-526?
When completing Form I-526, Alien Entrepreneur (EB-5), make sure to read all of the instructions carefully. Provide detailed answers and documents that are requested. Be sure to include any supporting documentation such as income statements, tax returns, and other financial information. Make copies of all forms and documents presented.
Make sure to provide full addresses of all property investments, including the source of the funds used to make the investment. You must also provide a detailed business plan that outlines your investment project and the expected job creation.
It is important to review the fees associated with filing Form I-526 and make sure that you can pay these fees before submitting your form. Finally, remember that this form must be signed by the applicant.
What is the Form I-526 Fee?
The Form I-526 fee is a fee charged by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for processing an Immigrant Petition for Alien Entrepreneur. The current fee for Form I-526 is $3,675.
Can I Apply for Form I-526 Fee Waiver or Reduction?
Yes, you may be eligible to apply for a fee waiver or reduction of your Form I-526. To qualify, you must meet certain eligibility requirements and provide evidence of your financial hardship. It is important to note that the fee waiver or reduction is only applicable to the filing fee and not any other associated fees. If your request is approved, you may be required to pay a reduced filing fee or no fee at all.
What is the Form I-526 Processing Time?
The processing time for a Form I-526 (Immigrant Petition by Alien Entrepreneur) can vary greatly, depending on the type of petition being filed, the specific case circumstances, and the workload of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Generally, processing times for the Form I-526 range from several months to over a year. Applicants are encouraged to check their case status online often to stay informed about the progress of their application.