What is a Form I-508?
Form I-508 is a form issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). It is a waiver of certain rights, privileges, exemptions, and immunities granted to certain classes of aliens in the United States.
Who is Eligible for Form I-508?
Form I-508 is an application for waiver of certain grounds of inadmissibility. The form is available to any foreign national who has been found ineligible for entry into the United States due to a certain ground of inadmissibility. Generally, applicants must demonstrate extreme hardship to a qualified relative or other individual already in the U.S. in order to be eligible for the waiver.
What is the Latest Form I-508 Edition?
The latest edition of Form I-508 is the April 2020 version.
What are the Required Documents for Form I-508?
The required documents for Form I-508 vary depending on the purpose of the application. Generally, applicants will need to submit copies of their passport, any applicable visas, and proof of legal presence in the United States. Applicants may also be asked to include additional supporting documentation such as financial records, evidence of travel-related expenses, or other evidence demonstrating a compelling humanitarian reason for their request.
How to Submit Form I-508?
Form I-508 is the Request to Waive the Requirements of Certification of Health for Admission to the United States. To submit Form I-508, you must:
1. Gather necessary documents and evidence needed in support of the waiver. This includes a written statement from a physician or other medical professional, valid evidence of financial responsibility, and any other evidence that is supportive of the waiver.
2. Complete the Form I-508 Application. This includes providing information about yourself and the reason for applying for the waiver.
3. Submit the form with any supporting documents to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). You can submit your application in person at a USCIS field office or by mail to the address provided on the form.
4. Wait for a decision from USCIS. USCIS may require an interview before making a decision on your application. They will provide you with the results of their decision in writing.
What are the Filing Tips for Form I-508?
1. Make sure to complete all the required fields on the Form I-508 before submitting.
2. Include all the necessary documents, such as a copy of your passport and other supporting documents.
3. Sign and date the form and make sure to include your contact information.
4. Make sure to file your Form I-508 in person at the USCIS office or through an authorized third party, such as a lawyer, accredited representative, or document preparer.
5. Keep a copy of your Form I-508 for your records.
6. Respond promptly to all notices and requests from the USCIS regarding your application.
7. Ensure that the information you provide is accurate, up-to-date, and complete.
8. Pay the applicable fees associated with the form and any additional fees required by the USCIS.
Are There Special Instructions for Form I-508?
No, there are no special instructions for Form I-508. This form is used to waive the right of exclusion from the United States, which is required for some foreign nationals who may be inadmissible under the Immigration and Nationality Act. The instructions for Form I-508 are provided by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
What is the Form I-508 Fee?
The Form I-508 fee is the fee charged by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for an applicant who is inadmissible to the United States and needs a waiver of inadmissibility. It is required for certain individuals seeking to enter the United States, and is typically requested when an applicant has been found inadmissible due to certain criminal or immigration violations.
Can I Apply for Form I-508 Fee Waiver or Reduction?
Yes, you can apply for a form I-508 fee waiver or reduction. To do so, you must provide evidence that the fees would cause an undue financial hardship. This evidence includes information about your current income and assets, as well as any other financial obligations. Depending on the situation, you may also be asked to provide evidence of your medical condition if it affects your ability to pay the fees. You must also provide details of any recent changes in your financial circumstances or those of your dependents.
What is the Form I-508 Processing Time?
The processing time for Form I-508 can vary based on the current workload of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Generally, it can take up to 6 months for the USCIS to process Form I-508.
Form I-508 Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is Form I-508?
Form I-508 is a form used by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to waive certain requirements for certain classes of immigrants. This includes waiving the requirement to provide proof of a valid passport and the requirement to provide proof of a valid visa.
2. Who is eligible to use Form I-508?
Form I-508 can be used by special immigrants, including: refugees, asylees, victims of human trafficking, special immigrant juveniles, and certain family members of U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents.
3. What information is needed in order to complete Form I-508?
To complete Form I-508, you will need to provide your personal information, including your full name, date of birth, place of birth, current address, and passport number (if applicable). You will also need to provide supporting evidence to demonstrate that you are eligible for a waiver, such as proof of refugee status or an affidavit from a family member witnessing the abuse you have suffered if you are claiming a waiver based on human trafficking.
4. How long does it take to process Form I-508?
It typically takes between 30 to 90 days for USCIS to process Form I-508. However, this timeframe can vary depending on individual circumstances and the current workload of USCIS.
5. Where can I find more information about Form I-508?
You can find more information about Form I-508 on the USCIS website at www.uscis.gov/forms/i-508-waiver-certain-requirements or by contacting the USCIS Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.