What is a Form I-485 Supplement J?
Form I-485 Supplement J is a form used to provide biographic information for applicants applying for adjustment of status to permanent residence in the United States. The biographic information includes the applicant’s name, address, date and place of birth, gender, marital status, and race/ethnicity. This information is used by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to make a determination on the individual’s eligibility for a Green Card.
Who is Eligible for Form I-485 Supplement J?
Form I-485 Supplement J is available to individuals who have already filed Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. The supplement is used by applicants to show that they have received an approved or still pending employment-based immigrant visa petition and are seeking to adjust their status in the United States.
What is the Latest Form I-485 Supplement J Edition?
The latest edition of Form I-485 Supplement J is the 03/11/21 version.
What are the Required Documents for Form I-485 Supplement J?
1. Completed Form I-485 Supplement J (Application for Adjustment of Status based on an approved Immigrant Petition);
2. A photocopy of the I-797 approval notice of the immigrant petition;
3. A valid passport;
4. Proof of current legal status in the United States;
5. Two passport-style photos;
6. Evidence of any name change;
7. Payment of the applicable fee; and
8. Any other evidence or documents requested by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
How to Submit Form I-485 Supplement J?
Form I-485 Supplement J is a USCIS form used to provide additional information about the applicant’s current residence status. This form is required for all applicants filing Form I-485, including those from certain countries who are not requiring a visa to travel to the United States.
To submit Form I-485 Supplement J, first complete the form using the instructions provided. Once it is completed, you will need to submit it along with your Form I-485 application. You can send both documents either by mail to the address provided on the form or by uploading them to your USCIS online account. Make sure to include any additional evidence you wish to provide, such as proof of your current residence status or other supporting documents.
Once you have submitted your application and supplement, the USCIS will review it and determine whether you meet all of the requirements for approval. If you do, then you will receive notification of approval.
What are the Filing Tips for Form I-485 Supplement J?
1. Make sure that your application is complete and accurate. Include all of the necessary documents, photographs, and signatures.
2. File your Form I-485 Supplement J at least 90 days before the expiration date of your current immigration status.
3. Submit up-to-date copies of your passport, and any other travel documents that you may have.
4. Include the original I-797 approval notice from your initial application for adjustment of status.
5. Make sure to include proof of Employment Authorization Document (EAD) and Advance Parole (if applicable).
6. Include a copy of any documents that show your current immigration status in the U.S., such as a visa or permanent resident card.
7. Make sure to include proof of address, such as a valid utility bill or rental agreement.
8. When submitting multiple forms, make sure to use a separate envelope for each form, and write the name, A-number and I-485 application number on each envelope.
9. Include a completed Form G-1145 to receive text or email notifications about your application status.
10. Pay the filing fee of $85 by mail using a check or money order made payable to the Department of Homeland Security.
Are There Special Instructions for Form I-485 Supplement J?
Yes, there are special instructions for Form I-485 Supplement J. It is important that you read and follow the instructions carefully to ensure that your application is completed correctly.
First, you must download and complete the Supplement J form and any additional required forms. You must provide evidence to show that you meet the eligibility requirements for an immigrant visa, such as a copy of your birth certificate or passport. You must also include all required documents and supporting evidence.
You must submit the form and required documents by mail or in person to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office where you are filing your application.
The instructions also indicate that you should print out the completed Supplement J form before submitting it and keep a copy for your records.
What is the Form I-485 Supplement J Fee?
The Form I-485 Supplement J fee is a one-time fee of $20 that is required to be paid when submitting Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. The fee is intended to cover the cost of processing your application.
Can I Apply for Form I-485 Supplement J Fee Waiver or Reduction?
Generally, no. The Form I-485 Supplement J Fee Waiver or Reduction is only available to applicants who have already submitted the Form I-485 and are unable to pay the full filing fee. It is not available for individuals who have not yet applied for Form I-485.
What is the Form I-485 Supplement J Processing Time?
The processing time for Form I-485 Supplement J can vary depending on circumstances, but generally it can take several months to several years to complete. The processing time also depends on the amount of paperwork that needs to be completed, the availability of resources, and the current backlog of applications.
Form I-485 Supplement J Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is Form I-485 Supplement J?
Form I-485 Supplement J is an additional form that must be completed and submitted along with Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, in order for a foreign national to apply for lawful permanent residence in the United States.
2. Who needs to submit Form I-485 Supplement J?
Any foreign national who is applying for permanent residency in the United States on the basis of a family-based visa must complete and submit Form I-485 Supplement J.
3. What information is required on Form I-485 Supplement J?
Form I-485 Supplement J requires the applicant to provide information about their current address, employment history, educational background, and other family members who may be applying for permanent residency in the United States. Applicants must also declare any criminal history or involvement in terrorist activities, as well as provide information about any financial support they may be receiving from an outside source.
4. How do I submit Form I-485 Supplement J?
Form I-485 Supplement J must be submitted by mail or in person along with Form I-485 and all other supporting documents required for the application. Applicants should also make sure to include a check or money order for the filing fee of $725.00 USD.